• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Kombucha - Is it actually good for you?

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
The title says it all.

I want to see hard facts, or at least convincing personal experiences one way or the other. I've started to drink kombucha my friend brews himself. It tastes awesome, and gives me sort of a placebo-like feeling of well-being hours afterward. It seems to gently stimulate my digestive process.

Or do I just think this because I know kombucha has acidophilus in it?

I can't tell for sure whether kombucha is good for me. What are your personal views/experiences?

I'd prefer contributions to be this thread to be either personal experiences or scientific data.

I have had horrible violent reactions to kombucha so many times... I didn't want to believe it. But it makes me so sick. Huge nasty boils break out on my skin whenever I drink it. I figured out it was flaring my candida overgrowth.

I imagine it is probably good for some people but I wanted to strongly warn anyone who has suffered from candida issues to STAY AWAY.

I imagine it is probably good for some people but I wanted to strongly warn anyone who has suffered from candida issues to STAY AWAY.

I've also been curious about Kombucha since a few friends speak highly of it...by candida issues, do you also mean the typical vaginal yeast infections women tend to get? I know I've had some awful ones...so I'm just curious if this is what you mean?

^ i actually suspect it may not be the komboucha that did that, but perhaps elements in your digestive system that the komboucha broke down and released into your bloodsteam. i dont know what your diet is like tho, but thatd be an assumption for the general population. you could very well be allergic to the bacteria or something. however, many people dont realize how long bad combinations of food, or excess amounts of certain foods, get caught in the intestines and linger for days, weeks, even years (especially if one's diet is heavy on cooked meats or processed foods).

to the OP - first off, dont think of things as "good for you." komboucha should be used like a tool, and like any tool, it can be used in a way that does more harm than good. it depends on what youre using it for.

chiefly, its a digestive aid. it works best when one eats a very well balanced, trophologically sound and organic/natural diet. its enzymes break down tough plant cellular walls, break down decomposing/putrefying material caught in the intestines, and also aids in the digestion of heavier proteins, complex carbs, etc.

It can be used to relieve a bad food combination when digestive enzymes in the stomach cant properly digest heavier proteins and carbs simultaneously. should constipation or overall digestive sluggishness result, it could help clear large food particles from clinging to the digestive tracts walls. This may result in some toxins being released into the bloodstream, but the overall clearance of the digestive system helps overall health in the long term. However, I wouldnt do something like this if i were very sick to begin with, unless my diet was purely fruits and vegetables.

It could also be used to release nutrition into the bloodstream faster and in larger quantities as well. If one were to eat an exclusively medicinal diet (example:grape cure for cancer, berry therapy for menstrual symptoms, healing joints or arthritis with vegetation, relieving inflammation, so on and so forth) and have a large salad or fruit meal, and wanted all of the nutrition to hit the body fast and in a large quantity, komboucha could be used to speed up digestion. this is actually used in many cultures to cure cancers or other chronic ailments. of course, medicinal juicing works better, but few people have access to something like a norwalk press.

it could be used for weight management, to "lose weight" one could drink some komboucha before and during the beginning of meals, causing the body to receive nutrition and calories faster, making it feel "full" faster. to gain some weight, one could drink a few hundred mL after a meal to speed up digestion, and perhaps feel hungrier sooner.

its a tool that can be used multidimensionally. you cant just indiscriminately drink it and expect it to "be good for you." it should also be given the respect that an ancient medicine deserves, and not just be consumed all the time for fun or to achieve a health goal that is unhealthy. with that in mind, experiment with a few hundred mL here and there, and see how it effects your body. dont be naive like most american consumers and just buy a whole bottle and chug it because its "tasty" or "fizzy," split something like a 450mL bottle up over several days if youre new, or over 3 sessions a day if you are already aware that your body reacts well to it.

all the stuff on the labels about "restoring vitality" and "balancing your spirit" or whatever corporate catch phrase you find is just some fluff to sell a product. its as meaningless as "natural peanut butter."

i actually suspect it may not be the komboucha that did that, but perhaps elements in your digestive system that the komboucha broke down and released into your bloodsteam. i dont know what your diet is like tho, but thatd be an assumption for the general population. you could very well be allergic to the bacteria or something. however, many people dont realize how long bad combinations of food, or excess amounts of certain foods, get caught in the intestines and linger for days, weeks, even years (especially if one's diet is heavy on cooked meats or processed foods).

You're right, I don't exactly know why. But after I was having these reactions my naturopath friend told me that kombucha tea was a big no-no for someone with my gut condition. I trust her and I trust my body so regardless of the reason, I'll stay far away from now on.

you cant just indiscriminately drink it and expect it to "be good for you." it should also be given the respect that an ancient medicine deserves, and not just be consumed all the time for fun or to achieve a health goal that is unhealthy.

Agreed! :)

I've also been curious about Kombucha since a few friends speak highly of it...by candida issues, do you also mean the typical vaginal yeast infections women tend to get? I know I've had some awful ones...so I'm just curious if this is what you mean?

No, not vaginal... although candida is there as well. It's all over the body but it gets out of hand and overgrown and causes problems in certain people.. usually those with a compromised immune system from something like HIV, or an autoimmune disease such as celiac disease. My gut was destroyed from eating foods like gluten, soy, etc for years and now I have leaky gut (think, a gut like swiss cheese) so things I eat leak into my bloodstream and continue the autoimmune reaction. It's a nasty cycle to get into and very hard to heal, because your system gets so weak that candida can take over and then make the gut irritation and leaking worse. You have to really get on a strict, gut healing diet to reverse that cycle.